Strengthening the Foundation in Orthodox Church Singing Today:
the Obikhod (Common Chant Tradition) in Applied Contemporary Practice
Holiday Inn Express and Suites – Albany Airport
Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God – Albany, NY
October 3-7, 2018
CLERGY Planning on serving at the Conference:
Please bring BLUE vestments!
The present day Albany parish has a long standing tradition, blessed by then Archbishop Laurus, of serving from the Nativity of the Mother of God (the parish Feast Day of the original Albany church) to the Feast Day of the Protection of the Mother of God – “Pokrov” (the parish Feast Day of the original Schenectady church) in blue vestments.
This year’s conference will focus on the very foundation of Orthodox church singing – the Obikhod, or Common Chant Tradition. We will explore its rich diversity of liturgical expression and how this tradition facilitates prayerful and understandable singing/chanting in the Divine Services.
As last year, we will continue to focus on the liturgical artistry of the clergy – reader, priest, and especially the deacon – and the necessary techniques to achieve prayerful singing/chanting of the highest quality in harmony with the singers.
Throughout the three-day program, an exciting blend of historical, theoretical, and practical considerations will prepare Orthodox singers, both in the choir loft and in the altar, to sing praises to our Lord reverently.
This year’s conference brings together choir members, conductors and clergy of all levels of experience to explore the wealth and beauty of the Divine Services of the Orthodox Church.
The conference lectures, workshops and rehearsals will culminate in festive pontifical services – All-Night Vigil on Saturday, October 6, and Divine Liturgy on Sunday, October 7.
Further, participants will have the opportunity to exchange ideas, get to know like-minded people and expand their liturgical repertoire.
Conference presentations and discussions will be conducted in English and Russian with translation as required.
Conference participants will chant the church services antiphonally in both Church Slavonic and English. Transliterated music will be available.
The price of the conference is (US $):
Full Registration Rates (Wednesday evening through Sunday):
- Single occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $715
- Double occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $495
- Triple/Quad Student Rates (Lodging, meals and all activities): $410 / $370
Please Note: Triple/Quad Rates are intended to make the Conference more affordable for Students: each room has two double beds that would need to be shared.
Week-End Rates (Begins Friday, including dinner):
- Single occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $400
- Double occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $290
- Triple/Quad Student Rates (Lodging, meals and all activities): $210 / $170
- No Lodging, Full Registration (No lodging, does include meals and all activities): $275
- No Lodging, Week-End Rate, Begins Friday with dinner(No lodging, does include meals and all activities): $180
The price of the conference also includes:
– transportation to/from hotel/church services. The Church is conveniently located 2.2 miles from the Hotel.
– all meals, with the exception of dinner on Saturday. Conference participants will be free to socialize and sample local cuisine following the All-Night Vigil.
A final banquet lunch will be held at the Church following the Divine Liturgy on Sunday.
– daily rehearsals, seminars on various musical topics, informative lectures by noted experts in the field of Russian Orthodox church music.
– all conference materials, including a bound choir music book containing all the music sung during Vigil and Liturgy by the combined choirs (transliterated music book on request).
All registrations must be prepaid. Cancellations must be received by September 15.
Traveling by air: The hotel is conveniently located 4 miles from Albany International Airport ( ALB ). The Church is 1.3 miles from the airport.
Transportation: Complimentary hotel Airport Shuttle Service available for Albany International Airport.
Return Flights: Please remember to add ample time to get through airport security.
Please schedule your return flights on Sunday as late as possible so as not to miss the banquet, and to allow ample time to pass through security at the airport.