Holiday Inn Boston-Dedham Hotel & Conference Center
Holy Epiphany Russian Orthodox Church – Boston (Roslindale), MA
October 2-6, 2019
Continuity and Growth:
Ensuring the Future of Liturgical Chant in our Parishes
Coхранение традиций в дальнейшем развитии церковного пения
This year’s conference will focus on the very future of Orthodox church singing – how to nurture your church choir to sustain it and even grow – to attract new and inspire existing singers, both from our youth and all ages.
As every year, our emphasis will be on the Obikhod, or Common Chant Tradition. We will explore its rich diversity of liturgical expression and how this tradition facilitates prayerful and understandable singing/chanting in the Divine Services. This will lead us to better understand what will help nurture and develop our church choirs.
The conference lectures, workshops and rehearsals will culminate in festive pontifical services – All-Night Vigil on Saturday, October 5, and Divine Liturgy on Sunday, October 6.
Conference presentations and discussions will be conducted in English and Russian with translation as required.
Conference participants will chant the church services antiphonally in both Church Slavonic and English. Transliterated music will be available.
The price of the conference is (US $):
Full Registration Rates (Wednesday evening through Sunday):
- Single occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $795
- Double occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $595
- Quad occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $495
Please Note: Quad Rates are intended to make the Conference more affordable for students: each room has two double beds that would need to be shared.
Weekend Rates (Begins Friday evening):
- Single occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $495
- Double occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $395
- Quad occupancy (Lodging, meals and all activities): $345
- No Lodging, Full Registration (No lodging, does include meals and all activities): $395
- No Lodging, Weekend Rate, Begins Friday evening. (No lodging, does include meals and all activities): $295
The price of the conference also includes:
– transportation to/from hotel/church services. The church is conveniently located 5.4 miles from the Hotel.
– all meals, with the exception of dinner on Friday. Conference participants will be free to socialize and explore Boston on Friday evening. Saturday dinner will be provided by the sisterhood after the Vigil service.
A final banquet lunch will be held following the Divine Liturgy on Sunday.
– daily rehearsals, seminars on various musical topics, informative lectures by noted experts in the field of Russian Orthodox church music.
– all conference materials, including a bound choir music book containing all the music sung during Vigil and Liturgy by the combined choirs (transliterated music book on request).
All registrations must be prepaid. Cancellations must be received by September 12.
Traveling by air: Depending on the route chosen, the hotel is located between 20-27 miles from Boston’s Logan International Airport ( BOS ). The Church is 11-18 miles from the airport, depending on the route.
Transportation: The hotel offers limited complimentary shuttle service to Dedham Corporate Center commuter rail station, which makes for easy access to Logan International Airport (BOS) and also a shuttle to Logan Express.
Please schedule your return flights on Sunday as late as possible so as not to miss the banquet, and to allow ample time to pass through security at the airport.